Catching up on relaxing

Jeremy and I had a great time being at home with our family for the holidays. But, it was nice to start getting back into the swing of everyday life again. I don’t know about you, but I crave routine.

Work begins again on New Year’s Day (t-minus 2 days!) so I’m soaking up every moment I have left with Jeremy and Link—January is the busiest time of year for a gym and I know I won’t have a moment to spare. Rumor has it that 60 hour work weeks are the norm. for January at my gym. Yay?


Today was the perfect lazy day, though—something I’ve needed after months of working my tail off during the week and playing catch-up at home on the weekend. Finally a day was available to just relax and do whatever I pleased.

I started with a laid-back breakfast:

oatmeal and tea

I’ve moved away from eating oatmeal every single morning like I used to in Japan, mostly out of sheer laziness. But I notice my overall food intake for the day takes a sharp turn downhill when I start out with something less filling, like cereal. I have a rice cooker that I bought to program for my morning oats—now I need to use it!

Breakfast was followed by home yoga with the husband. He’s trying to get back into working out and yoga is one of the only exercises he enjoys—which works for me because I love yoga, too.


(Check out his ‘stache.)

We’ve made a pact to start going to weekend yoga together—my gym has a class on Saturday and Sunday, so we should be able to make it to one of those. If we can’t make it some weeks due to our schedules conflicting it’s not a big deal.

After getting myself ready for the day, I fell asleep on the sofa watching You Tube videos. Link was cuddled up with me and apparently I needed the extra rest because I felt like a million bucks when I woke up two hours later.

Shortly after, cabin fever set in. I’m not the type of person who can stay holed up in the house all day. I crave getting out and interacting with the world. Link was starting to get antsy from being inside and I knew we both would benefit from a short run.

Dec 2012

I bundled up (because it’s SNOWING!) in some of my new Christmas running gear and headed out with the pup for a mile of running—with occasional pee-on-tree breaks for one of us. It was a nice change to get out in the middle of the day. And once I got started it wasn’t even that cold. I’d forgotten how much I enjoy winter running… maybe without the snow, though. Snow is messy!

The pink Under Armor fleece hat from my sister-in-law was the perfect head covering—light, but warm.

Dinner had only one requirement: it had to be easy.

unbaked pizza

Solution? Homemade pizza made with pre-bought dough from Trader Joe’s. Easy enough.


Unfortunately these were the only two pieces that came out as… pieces. Something was off with the pizza stone and the dough stuck right to it. I’ve never had that happen before and I’m not sure what I did wrong. Any suggestions?

Never mind the pizza stone blunder, though, because the final product tasted amazing. I did wish we’d had some greens for salad, but alas the fridge was empty and we need to go grocery shopping badly. That’s on the schedule for tomorrow, along with church and lots of reading.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday.


Please leave a comment! I love hearing your thoughts.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s